Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Neutrogena Build-A-Tan Review

**Disclaimer: This is my very first self-tanning lotion I've ever used, please note that some issues may have been user errors and not product errors**




I did a lot of research before buying a self tanner because I knew I wanted one that worked well rather than me doing trial and error on myself and looking like an oompa loompa for a while. 

I chose the Neutrogena build-a-tan because I knew an actual self tanner would get everywhere and I really didn't feel like turning my sheets orange, my clothes orange, or my brand new couch orange (I read numerous times that this was just a side effect of self tanning and not much could be done about it). I really wanted an easy to apply lotion that would give me color until summer came along and I could tan in the sun. 

I'm against tanning salons because I don't want to expose my skin to more damage than I already do and who has the money to pay $10 a tanning session plus the $60 lotion to make sure I don't get burned. Too much time/money. So I chose the self-tanning route.

As a result, I got the Neutrogena Build-A-Tan. I trust Neutrogena because I use their products for facial cleansing (so I knew it wouldn't break me out) and I read pretty decent reviews about it. So on to the self-tanning:

Before First Application: 

After the First Application:

 

The smell of the product was similar to that of sun tan lotion, but it wasn't ridiculously bad and went away after it was completely applied so I didn't walk around smelling like tanning lotion the rest of the day. It went on just like lotion, very smooth and I used my bare hands and instantly washed with soap after finishing applying and my hands are orange free, so I'm impressed by that.

I think the color came out pretty good overall after letting it settle (the color doesn't start showing through until 2-4 hours after application)

There were a few problems on my skin I don't like, but again, I'm unsure if it's user error or product error. Here are the pictures (these areas on me are super white, which might have played into the spotting):

The lighting does not give this product justice at all. I was very impressed with the color it gave me and even had some compliments on how tan I got from it. It gave me a very natural tan and the weird spotting went away after a few days. 

I've used this product an additional time and still loved the results. It fulfilled exactly what I was looking for in a self tanner. One that didn't require maintenance, it comes off my hands so they don't turn orange, and it doesn't turn me orange nor anything else I own orange. I recommend this product to keep a slight tan during those winter months!

My Grade: B+

Did you try out this product yourself? What'd you think of it? What about a different color? Post your thoughts below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment